1. THERE ARE CATS IN THIS BOOK by Viviane Schwarz
2. No, David! by David Shannon
3. DO NOT OPEN THIS BOOK! by Michaela Muntean and illustrated by Pascal Lemaitre
4. Anything by Mo Willems
5. The Book that Eats People by John Perry and Mark Fearing
6. Dirty Bertie by David Roberts
And now for #7 . . .
7. The Purple Kangaroo by Michael Ian Black and Peter Brown
Michael Ian Black is probably best known for being a comedian, so when he started writing picture books it came as no surprise that they were funny. But I've been blown away by just how funny kids find them to be, especially The Purple Kangaroo. Whenever I pull this book out of my book bag the kids say things like "I like that one!" and "that one is funny!". I've done quite a few readings of this book now and the kids never seem to tire of it. They like how the book breaks the fourth wall by having a monkey (humor gold!) talk to them directly and that this monkey claims to be able to read their mind. Every line of text fits perfectly and the absurdity of the book is brilliant.